Nonprofit Board Leadership Essentials
Developing and maintaining a healthy, engaged & strategic Board
Clarity of roles & responsibilities
Communication & collaboration
"JBL Strategies' advice and assistance has helped us transform our organization into a more sustainable and
impactful nonprofit with a board focused on governance, oversight and development."
- Mary Sue Butler Clyne, Drive A Senior Central Texas, Board Chair
A dysfunctional nonprofit Board of Directors (Board) can be both disruptive and time consuming for everyone involved. Whereas, an engaged and intentionally structured Board can significantly grow your organization’s capacity and help take it to the next level.
Strong, functional nonprofit Boards do exist. However, feedback from our clients and networks shows that some of the greatest challenges organizations face is due to Boards that aren’t working well or have ineffective relationships between the Board and executive staff.
How can we help?
To address the growing need for training in this area, leadership professionals Jane Baxter Lynn and Craig Snook of JBL Strategies created Nonprofit Board Leadership & Engagement Essentials (BLE). BLE is a customized board development process that works with Central Texas nonprofits to build and maintain effective, inspired and engaged Boards for the long term benefit of the organization and its mission.
BLE is based on the fundamentals of Board Leadership and JBL Strategies’ unique integrated model of leadership, strategy and communication. Jane and Craig’s approach gives the Board a sense of ownership and encourages collaboration between the Board and executive staff. Their focus is on continuity and addresses the root cause of the Board’s challenges, rather than implementing quick fixes that don’t take into account the long term.
How does it work?
Jane and Craig work with the Board and executive staff to develop the content for a customized Board development process. This typically includes some or all of the following components:
- Planning session with chair and/or appropriate board representative and executive director/CEO.
- Review of current Board processes and operations.
- Assessment of relevant documents such as strategic plan, fundraising plan, metrics etc.
- Creation, distribution and evaluation of a confidential Board survey.
- Preparation and facilitation of Board training session/s, including meeting(s) with leadership; customized content and materials, and post-training follow up with next steps (can be held at board meetings, retreats or other pre-arranged times).
- Practical tools and checklists, and assistance with developing policies and procedures.
- Direct coaching of Board leadership.
- Availability to advise Board and executive staff as-needed.
What will it do for your organization?
- Help Board members gain clarity on their roles & responsibilities and how their contributions impact the organization’s mission.
- Engage Board members to become more energized, focused and accountable to the organization.
- Reduce unproductive meetings and planning sessions.
- Build greater rapport and teamwork between Board members and executive staff.
- Ensure consistent Board leadership through intentional succession planning.
- Help leadership implement sustainable and consistent processes.
- Clarify or reinforce the organization’s strategic direction, positioning and messaging.
- Align the Board with key organizational priorities and outcomes.
For a free 30-minute zoom or phone consultation contact: sign up at www.jblstrategies.com/contact/ or contact Jane Baxter Lynn at email@example.com or 512-529-7685.